Rideshare companies, such as Uber and Lyft, have grown dramatically as a convenient and inexpensive way to get around town for individuals of all age groups and socioeconomic backgrounds. From traveling to and from airports, social events, bars, and restaurants, to grocery stores and shopping centers, many people in the greater San Francisco area use rideshare services. They are especially beneficial to those who wish to avoid driving when going to a social event or location where they will indulge in alcoholic beverages, thus making the roads and highways safer against drunk driving accidents.
With more rideshare drivers on the road, however, rideshare accident claims have grown. These claims are more complex than standard motorist accident claims due to the various insurance companies that may be involved and thus liable for compensation. At A. Davies Personal Injury Law, I can assist you with the details of making your rideshare accident claim against the appropriate at-fault parties and their insurers. I offer free initial consultations in which you can discuss the specifics of your accident to gain the counsel you need regarding your case.
Various scenarios can occur involving rideshare accidents that will affect who can be held liable for damages when negligence has caused injuries, such as:
- You as a rideshare customer were injured while traveling to or from your destination due to your driver’s negligence
- You as a rideshare customer were injured due to the negligence of another driver
- You as a rideshare driver were injured while picking up, dropping off, or driving a customer
- You were injured by a rideshare driver while traveling in another vehicle
Rideshare accidents can occur in all of the various ways that other auto accidents do. These can be due to speeding, texting while driving, violating other traffic laws, drowsiness, simple inattention, and more. However, the circumstances of the accident will determine liability and thus what insurance company may be held liable.
Those who may be liable in any rideshare accident can include;
- The rideshare driver and thus his or her insurer
- The rideshare company’s one-million-dollar commercial policy
- The driver of the other vehicle who caused the accident and thus his/her insurer
- The rideshare company’s uninsured/underinsured policy if an uninsured/underinsured driver caused the accident
If you were injured by a rideshare driver, liability will depend on whether the driver turned on the app and was “on the clock” as a rideshare driver. Various insurance scenarios will apply depending on whether he/she was waiting for a customer, carrying a customer, or driving in between customers on his or her own time with the app turned off. Generally, you will have the biggest level of insurance coverage while en route to or from your destination as a rideshare customer.
If another driver caused the accident while you were a rideshare customer, that driver’s insurer will generally be liable for your damages and losses. In all cases, those who can be held liable for your damages will be the party who was responsible for the accident.
Contact my firm to schedule a free initial consultation about your case. You can reach A. Davies Personal Injury Law online or at (408) 577-3441 to get started.
Damages in rideshare accidents are generally the same as those in other personal injury claims, such as:
- Medical bills both past and predicted future, depending on your injuries
- Lost wages or income when you cannot immediately return to work
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Property damage for any personal items
- Any other out-of-pocket expenses related to your injuries
Wrongful death damages and compensation are also the same as those stemming from other negligence-based auto accidents or other incidents.
How a Bay Area Rideshare Accident Attorney Can Help
Injury claims from rideshare accidents can be complicated. I believe that you will be best served in recovering the financial compensation you deserve with the help of a diligent personal injury attorney. If you have been injured in any scenario involving a rideshare driver, you can take advantage of my free consultation to learn more about your specific rideshare accident and how to get compensation from the responsible party or parties.